After my family accused me of functioning in a technology coma, I decided it was time to come up with some ways to protect myself from the inevitable intervention.
10. To avoid detection, put your device on silent. No on will hear the "tweet"
9. Sleeping with your device under your pillow is a dead give way that you need help.
8. Although the restroom may be the only time you are alone - this should be a device free area.
6. Make sure all your dependents have been fed before you check your twitter feed.
5. Avoid the urge to "tweet that out" when something unusual happens.
4. Avoid tweeting family members from across the room.
3. If you use tweet deck....limit your columns to 20 or less. More than 20 indicates at risk behavior and more than 30 warrants an intervention.
2. Avoid answering questions with "huh?" in a twitter induced haze.
1. If all else fails, put your device inside a print book. As a librarian, how can I argue with a good book?
Thursday, April 30, 2015
Sunday, April 19, 2015
Tell Your Story as a Connected Educator this week at NETA15! As you know, I am a social media maven loving life on Instagram and Twitter where I celebrate my profession and my students. One ofmy FAVORITE parts of NETA14 was rocking the InstaWalk (pretty crazy happy about that Fashionista badge) so I was giddy with glee when @morgetron asked me to join her in coordinating this year's journey.
The InstaWalk is a super groovy good time and a great way to archive your NETA adventures and share the love 'cause this PLN rocks it everyday for every student. You also earn some pretty sweet badges you can post and rub in noses (Did I really say that..... Yeah.... Yeah I did)
So here we go, kids. If you aren't on Instagram (and if not...... WHY?) here are some basics:
1. Download the Instagram app onto your smartphone or tablet. Create an account.
2. Give Instagram permission to use your photos.
3. Capture a photo you want to share.
4. Upload it to Instagram.
5. Caption it with any info you want to share + #NetaInstaWalk15 + the hashtags that correspond with the badge you are attempting to earn. (For Example: New Shoes for NETA15 #NetaInstaWalk15 #Beautiful #EduFashion). Hashtags are listed below for each category.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
- If you have a PRIVATE Instagram account, we won’t be able to see your pics, even if you hashtag them. You can friend either Jodie or me, which is an option.
- If you do not have a private Instagram account and you use these hashtags, there is a chance we will re-gram you on #NETA’s Instagram account or on one of our accounts.
- There is also a chance that your photo may end up in the slide show at the end of Day 1 or during Day 2 at some point.
And Here are the Groovy Categories for this Year's #NETAInstaWalk15: Take a look at the categories and then during NETA if anything rocks your world, snap a photo and Instagram it with the accompanying hashtags. Jodie and I will be watching Instagram during the conference and we will send you the badges you earn. Pretty sweet, huh?
#NETAINSTAWALK15 #BEAUTIFUL BADGE
Fashion! What is your style? How about other styles you admire? Show us your #NETA15 #EduFashion!
To earn the #Beautiful award, post a picture of your favorite #NETA15 fashion. It might be YOUR own fashion. It might be the fashion of one of your friends. It might be the fashion of a complete stranger who will become your friend after you tell her/him how much you love her/his fashion. Be sure to include the following hashtags to get full credit for this challenge:
#NetaInstaWalk15 #Beautiful #Youngbloods #EduFashion
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS BADGE
To earn the #WithALittleHelpFromMyFriends award, post a picture of your and your friends. This is selfie time USA. Don’t hold back. If you have a selfie stick, I hope you brought it. Be sure to include the following hashtags to get full credit for this challenge:
#NetaInstaWalk15 #WithALittleHelpFromMyFriends #TheBeatles
MAGIC MOMENT BADGE
What were your magic moments at #NETA15?
To earn the #ThisMagicMoment award do your best to capture what you consider to be a magical #NETA15 moment. Be sure to include the following hashtags to get full credit for this challenge:
#NetaInstaWalk15 #ThisMagicMoment #TheDrifters OR #JayAndTheAmericans
LET THE SUN SHINE IN BADGE
Enlightened you? Made you think?
There is so much to learn at NETA, pretty sure this will be an amazing category. Be sure to include the following hashtags to get full credit for this challenge:
#LetTheSunShineIn #FifthDimension #NetaInstaWalk15
AMERICAN PIE BADGE
What did you eat while you were at #NETA15? To earn the #AmericanPie award, post some pics of your breakfast, coffee break, or your lunch. Be sure to include the following hashtags to get full credit for this challenge:
#NetaInstaWalk15 #Foodie #AmericanPie #DonMcLean
If you Earn all the Badges Above? Well, then, YOU are a movin’ groovin’ machine.
If you think you have earned all five badges, be sure to post a picture of ANYONE or ANYTHING from the conference and in the caption, please use the following hashtags:
#NetaInstaWalk15 #Kodachrome #PaulSimon #IAmAMovinGroovinMachine