Librarian's Five for 2012

In the spirit of new year resolutions, I  have been giving a great deal of thought to the apps that I used the most in 2011.  I was pretty attached to my Blackberry but the hubster decided I should switch to the iPhone4 at the beginning of the school year.  Love It! and I am not a huge Apple user.  So here is my "Librarian's Five" for 2012 in no particular order:
1. Evernote: Love this app and have it installed on both laptops and iPhone.  After losing a bunch of notes on my phone, this gadget works great to keep my thoughts, ideas, and notes secure and accessible from wherever I happen to be. Save articles and read later.
2. Hootsuite: I use this exclusively on my phone to read tweets, send  links to my school email, and keep ideas for technology integration.  I LOVE twitter and this app manages my school FB fan page, personal Twitter, and my  husband's school Twitter account. I have connected with some super fab-o librarians and received great ideas and inspiration. Plus, the little owl is just so darn cute!
3. Goodreads: I kept track of the 200 books I read in 2011 with this app.  I can add books on the fly with the scanner to my list of books to read and update my feed for my kids which links to our school website.
4. Google Reader: I follow like a gizzilion blogs (not that many) and this app lets me scroll through stuff quickly, favorite what I want to keep, skip what I don't.  And if I don't feel like reading any of the eighty-nine posts, they all go away.
5. Kindle: Ok I can't download samples anymore on the move, but I can keep reading the books I am previewing for my kiddos, but most of all, just check out on everything for a while from anywhere. (Made that two hour wait in line at Gordman's on Black Friday go pretty fast!)

Short list contenders did include: NCIS Gibb's Rules, Talking Carl, and Common Core Standards (Yes, Really!)  PC gadgets: Diigo and TweetDeck

There's mine - what are yours?






Comments

Popular Posts